We are thrilled to announce Holo’s Network Release Candidate (Network-RC), which will be live in December. This is a significant moment in our journey marking the completion of crucial work that enables effective hosting of Holochain applications across the network.
Holo’s release candidate is the first version of the product that’s feature complete. During the next three to four months the code base will go through a third party security audit in preparation for our launch. In this period the Network-RC code will be hardened and made more resilient.
1. Completion of Critical Work: The Holo Network has matured into a feature complete large-scale peer-to-peer cloud network built on Holochain. This achievement is a testament to the trust we received from our supporters and hosts which enabled our dedicated team to deliver on our long term commitment to innovation and excellence.
2. Application Hosting: The Holo alpha network has already been hosting applications like Fractal Tribute and Mewsfeed. The network release candidate will bring a full suite of features and documentation to app managers so they can clearly understand what it is like to host an application in the network. There are also various performance, reliability, and stability improvements that make for a complete product experience.
The maturing of the Holochain code base and deployment of Holo enables ventures like Neighbourhoods to reshape the way we coordinate and build better communities — online and offline. —Siddhart Sthalekar, Neighbourhoods founder
3. Roadmap and Security Measures: It is important to understand Network-RC is not a launch of the Holo network or HoloFuel. The upcoming months include: engaging with a third party auditor for a security audit of HoloFuel, harding security of our hosting components, and a complete end-to-end test of the core functionality of applications with user feedback from our Alpha group. The code base will be audited by Least Authority, the same company that audited both the Ethereum code base and Holochain.
4. Core Features of HoloFuel: At Network-RC, the code base for HoloFuel is audit-ready. This means all the features necessary for HoloFuel to be functional and tested are complete. HoloFuel is the micro-transaction, mutual credit currency used for payments in the hosting network. During Network-RC, the HoloFuel app will be transacting with Test Fuel. Following the audit of Network-RC and other security hardening measures, HoloFuel will go live with the launch of the Holo hosting network, which is expected in Q2 2024. It will be upon the launch of the Holo network that the swap period of HOT to HoloFuel will also begin.
5. Current State and Future Prospects: During the Network-RC period, multiple Holochain applications will be hosted on the Holo network. Following our security audit and resilience work, the Holo dev team will continue to build and integrate new features, infrastructure expansions, and improvements — some of which are planned and others of which will be responsive to customers’ needs.
As a former team member I'm super excited and proud about Holo reaching this important milestone and here at Coasys we're stoked to get our ADAM runtimes hosted on HoloPorts ASAP! This means ADAM users won't have to keep an ADAM launcher running on their desktop. Instead they can use ADAM apps from anywhere while still being in full control of their digital identity and data. —Nicolas Luck Coasys’ founder
6. Making Network-RC Public: In December, the Holo release candidate will be deployed to our Alpha Test network. In January, we will transition this into a public environment. This transition will involve significant updates and upgrades for many HoloPort owners. Hosts and hApp managers will receive details about what can be expected in the days ahead.
It’s really thrilling to hear the deployment news! Holo’s potential to bring back a sense of community to the internet all the while keeping all the benefits of Web 2 is phenomenal!! Looking forward to hosting apps in it! —Tatsuya Sato, founder of Nagare Dev Shop
Check out the roadmap at holo.host/roadmap
This year has been monumental for us. We began the year with a strong foundation delivering Holochain beta. We then moved into the development of our showcase apps, Fractal Tribute, KanDo, Talking Stickies, and Mewsfeed. Now, the Holo Network Release Candidate wraps the year with yet another leap forward.
Stay tuned for more updates and get ready to witness a new era in decentralized application hosting!